After centuries of abandonment and ruin, the Palace of the Dukes of Bragança underwent large restoration works during the second quarter of the 20th Century, between 1939-1952.  It is in the decade of the 50’s, when the end of these upgrading works is near, that the function to be given to the Palace after its reconstruction is defined: Official Residence of the Presidency of the Republic in the North of the Country.
It was necessary to provide the Palace with comfort and quality to shelter Chiefs of State, for the reception of the President of Brazil, Café Filho, in 1955.  A commission is, therefore, constituted named the “Furniture Commission”.  This commission sought to recreate the environment of a Ducal Palace, with works of art from other national palaces and museums, as well as national and foreign antiquarians.  Medieval furniture would not be resorted to as, besides its rarity, it had a high cost.  In this way, the collections that make up the estate of the Museum and Presidential Wing, which will occupy the entire 1st floor of the Palace of the Dukes of Bragança in Guimarães, are rather varied: painting on wood and canvas, sculpture in limestone and wood, gilt carving, ceramics (earthenware, faience and porcelain), Portuguese and Flemish furniture, tapestries (from Pastrana, Aubusson and Flemish).  Besides its collection, the Palace of the Dukes of Bragança has a set of very interesting chestnut wood ceilings, in the Banquet Hall, Chapel and Auditorium, in the Antechamber and in the Room, where we find hunting scenes, everyday life and floral motifs depicted.